Thursday, February 08, 2007

Jhumpa Lahiri



I just recently plowed through these two Pulitzer prize winning books. They are both worth your time. Especially if you've moved far from home, where the culture is very different (Ahem, Cari). I won't write another long critique like the last one. Interpreter of Maladies is a compilation of short stories about various life experiences.
The Namesake was also very good. Its about a family who moves to the US from India,
while trying not to lose touch with their roots.
I'm sure most can relate to many thoughts in the story,
if you've ever
moved far from home.
Turns out they're turning this book into a movie shortly.
Awesome...
Here's a website where you can find out more about the story and movie.

4 comments:

Cari said...

you read very deep books. i usually read shopaholic. i think i'll look into these books and give them a try. how do you choose the books you read?

Kat said...

I usually look through the Best Sellers section. I end up losing track of time and spending like 3 hours in a bookstore! I stumbled on this author because there was a 'Buy Two Get One Free' section at Borders. I end up reading random pages in the book...if I like it, I buy it!

Anonymous said...

I never know you read do much!!! I'm like Cari, I just finished a book titled "Step om it Cupid" and now I am onto "In one year and out the other". hehe

Kat said...

Yep, I love to read...One of my fav. pastimes.