Saturday, April 28, 2007

Luray Caverns




We had a great day at the Luray caverns today. Matt and I left early this morning for our hour and a half drive to Shenandoah Valley in Northern VA. We decided to take a more scenic route which ended up taking us an additional 10 mintues. We drove through the National Park, which winds through the mountains. I'm thankful that we got there in one piece 'cos Matt's a horrible driver!
The caverns were amazing. It was an hour long tour which consisted of Matt harassing the tour guide and embarssingly enough, we almost got kicked off the tour for leaving the group and playing in the fountain, and for scaring the tourists while pretending to be bats.
Anywho, I prefered this tour to the Kartchner Caverns (AZ) only because we were allowed to take pics and it wasn't such a fortress with huge sealed doors. It had a zillion formations that were close enough to touch (but can't obviously).
There was also an organ that had no pipes but instead, used the sound waves of the formations to emenate the tunes.
We had lunch at the Scalactite Cafe, which featured some homegrown slop, and headed to the Transportation Exhibition. It featured various cars throughout history.
On our way back, we made a quick stop at the Yogi Bear Park, where we tried on some silly hats and purchased some prank toys that we intend to use on our collegues. These consist of dissapering ink, a hand buzzer, fly in an ice cube, and fake poo. We also bought some candy that we haven't had since we were kids.
We ended our evening with a B.B.Q., and watched Night at the Museum with Ben Stiller.
In a nutshell, we had a great time and I'm hoping to visit the other local caverns soon.
http://www.luraycaverns.com/
P.S. I'm only kidding about almost getting the boot from our tour.
P.S.S. Has anyone heard of Body Worlds? Its coming to Montreal, and it will be in NC too. Seems really gross but fascinating at the same time.
http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/exhibitions/current_exhibitions.html

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys did have a nice day. . . . Did you see any bats?

Kat said...

No bats. A woman asked the guide if there were any at the beggining of the tour. She said she wouldn't continue if there were. I'm sure there are some, somewhere in the cave. The caves in AZ are known for their bats. Its the perfect place for them to hang out!

Joey said...

Awww, no bats. . . .

I guess hanging out with Matt was batty enough.

har har. . .

Speak to you on monday Katie

Anonymous said...

I would not put it past you guys to get the boot from the tour! I can picture it in my head! haha. The caves look awesome...wish we had something like that here :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not impressed

MOM

Cari said...

that place looks so cool! and i can't believe that body thing is going to montreal! steve and i have been wanting to see it forever!!! i hope it comes to brisbane!!! katie, you should come to brisbane this summer with melissa...i'm trying to get her to come! you deserve a holiday!!!!

Kat said...

Mom- I didn't do those things. If I did, I would blame it on peer pressure from Matt. He's a bad egg.
Cari- I WISH I could go this summer! I couldn't get that much time off though, I'm new here...Damn newbie!

Anonymous said...

Why were you and Matt Stragglers?
Did you get lost in the cave with him Chesty?

Kat said...

Yes. Matt and I are lovers. Everything you heard about him is true.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cari said...

not even 2 weeks...?