Saturday, October 07, 2006

Day 3 Nogales, Mexico

I still can't get over how easy it was to get across the border. We parked our car on the American side, and walked down a path. Then we walked through a revolving door and voila! We were in Mexico. On the way back there was a line, with 1 guy checking people's passports. No questions asked, eventhough border jumping is a huge problem. On the US side there are helicopters searching the desert for people.
Very reassuring...


They even offered to sell me this sign! They said," Do you like it?"
I said yes...
"I will give you special price."
No thank you, I can't bring that on the plane with me.
"So you sell it at the airport!"
Uh no, you can't solicit people like that...
"Oh you are not having a good day! Your bag, it looks empty!"
Man it was too much after awhile! They always had an answer!

Tin crafts...

Local art...

Cheap drugs...

Shops, shops, shops!...

Local cafe/tequila bar
Tequila was offered to you in almost all of the shops.
We spent about 2-3 hours in Nogales. It was fun and we were harassed a lot by the vendors. I bought a clay vase, and had fun bargaining with the guy. The vase was $25 and I left with it for $14. Michy's mom was a pro bargainer, she would walk out of the store and they would follow her out, practically giving it to her. It was a lot of fun at first but it got old fast. I had a mother and her three kids follow me up the street, offering me bracelets for a dollar. I said no thank you, and the little boy pointed to my half eaten apple! You should have seen his sad face, his mommy taught him well! So I dug through my bag, and gave him a muffin and some fruit for his two sisters. We got back to Patagonia at about 4pm to get ready for the ceremony...

No comments: