Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Four Agreements


I've just finished reading this book. In a nutshell, it is a book about human potential.
There are four topics that are touched upon in this book, that are meant to show you how to happily live your life, and to challenge your current beliefs.
  • Be Impeccable with your word. Words are like seeds, and our brains are the fertile ground. He discusses how we must avoid negative thoughts (especially towards ourselves!), as well as the negativity of others.
  • Don't take anything personally. If someone says something negative toward you, or about you, you musn't take it personally. It's really about them. The same goes for compliments too! Since we have to change our beliefs about ourselves, that means no negative thoughts, so then we already know that we're wonderful! That one would be tough, since I'm a sucker for a compliment!
  • Do not make assumptions. We make assumptions about people, and situations in many cases. We often misunderstand, take it personally, in turn creating conflict. Speak clearly and express what you truly want from others. This is a common problem in marriage! People get involved relationships, and forget/avoid to talk about what they really want!
  • Always do your best. There will always be days when you are not at the top of your game. Nevertheless, you must always do your best according to the circumstances. This will eliminate many negative feelings, such as regret. You must do your best to follow all four of these agreements, to have the best life possible!

This book made some good points regarding abuse, the way we beat ourselves up (we are the hardest judges on oursleves!) and allow others to do the same. He also brought up the fact that we probably would never let someone abuse us, more than we abuse ourselves.

I think this book might have been better, if he had given examples on how to retrain your thoughts. You have to undo all that you have learned, how you were raised to think, opinions etc...! One day at a time I guess... I liked this book but how hard would it be to follow those agreements? I guess I'll just have to do my best.

I didn't intend for this post to turn into a book review, and had to stop myself from going on and on! Anyway, I guess its worth reading then.

I give it 3 paws out of five.

4 comments:

Cari said...

it sounds very interesting and in a perfect world, i think we would all think like that. i'll work on it! i especially like the point about us not letting others treat us as badly as we treat ourselves...so true! but why then do we do that??? definitely not an easy task to retain your brain, but i'm sure worth the effort in the long run.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've tried reading similar books, but I find them so hard to get through because some of the "rules" or "suggestions" simply can't be followed in an everyday setting. Maybe I am being too negative and critical. I guess maybe I should read the book! hehe...

Anonymous said...

Well...first of all...you write so well....glad you are still doing that.....the book sounds good and more and more people are learning not to be negative...this morning i almost had an accident but it did not happen so I said to myself what is the worst that could happen I smash up the car a little so what...no biggie....because I saw a show on T.V. about a mass murderer..so I thought hey what the heck I am not that bad of a person...so I chilled out.Basically we get too hairy too many times for nothing...SO my motto is "Don't sweat the small stuff" It doesn't matter..so what if I am getting grayer and grayer...I'll dye my hair when I feel like it...it doesn't matter.
P.S. Didn't think I would say this much.

Kat said...

LMAO!I love you mom, you're wacky. Did you say "chilled out"? :)
I'm glad you're ok though.